Sunday, March 1, 2009

Econo Chic: The Basic Manicure

We know times are hard and we are all cutting down on spending. Usually the first thing to be cut is our beauty regimen such as manicures, pedicures, facials, etc. Well every Sunday I will bring you some information on how to DIY those things we enjoy ourselves. This week DIY is The Basic Manicure.

It costs women on average $360 a year to get a basic manicure and that is figuring that you go twice a month and that is not including tip and tax. There are those that go once a week and get other services such as acrylics, nail designs, etc which can easily double that price tag. It might not seem like a lot of money since that money is spent over the year but that money can come in handy in a pinch.

I will use me as an example. I used to spend $720 just on my manicures a year. Once I started doing my own nails I started saving $620 a year (I spend about $100 a year on my supplies.).

Now since the SO and I will not be taking a vacation this year because seriously if I am not going to get a manicure because of the price tag there is no way we will spend somewhere around two thousand dollars on a vacation but at the same time we need to get away. We have stressful jobs and we need to be able to get away, even if it is for a weekend to relax.

This of course lit the light bulb in my head, why not take the money that I am saving on my manicures and take a weekend trip somewhere!?! You can read more about $620 weekend getaway on next Sunday’s Econo Chic post.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. Bellow is how I do my basic manicure. If you have any questions or comments let me know.

What you will need:

• Cotton to remove polish and Q-tips to correct mistakes, you can also buy a corrector pen but why spend the money when q-tips and acetone can do the same job?
• Polish Remover
• Nail Buffer and Crystal Nail File
• Whitening Nail Paste and Hand Scrub
• Hand Lotion; get one that has sunscreen in it. The one I use is SPF 15
• Nail polish base, Nail polish of color of your choosing, and top coat
• Nail polish Dryer; there are many types, I use the spray
• Not Shown because I forgot to add it, Cuticle Oil


The orange stick shown can be used for a number of things, I hardly ever use it but it comes in handy sometimes. I also show a cuticle clipper I suggest you do not clip your cuticles. I use this tool because I have a bad habit of biting the skin around my nails so I use the cuticle clipper to clip loose skin. It is a horrible habit I picked up when I was a kid; while other kids bite their nails I bite the skin around my nails. :-(

Step One:
Remove old nail polish, file nails with crystal nail file to desired length and shape using short strokes, do not just saw your nails back and forth this will make your nails week and can cause chips. Then take nail buffer and buff your nails.


Step Two: (Not Pictured)
Use whitening paste and scrub nails with nail brush, then scrub hands with hand scrub, dry hands and apply lotion.
*This is optional but after I apply lotion to my hands I take a q-tip and dip it in rubbing alcohol and I clean just the nails with it to remove all excess lotion of the nails so that the nail polish applies better to nails.

Step Three:
I then apply base coat to my nails and let dry. After that is dry I then apply nail polish. When I apply my nail polish I apply the first stroke down the center of the nail then I do each side. Give the nail polish some time to set/dry between coats. After you are done applying your color, apply a fast drying topcoat.


*I have also learned that leaving my thumbs for last I make the least amount of mistakes. So do all your other nails first and when you are done do your thumbs.

Step Four:
If you have made any mistakes take a q-tip dip it in nail polish remover and clean it up. I also take a small piece of cotton and wrap it on the end of an orange stick when I need to get to an area that a q-tip is too large to get close to avoid smudging the nail polish.


*This is also optional; after you are done spray some nail dryer to your nails. If you use a fast drying topcoat you do not really need to use it. I do use it because I am impatient and want my nails dried ASAP so I give it a little help.

Step Five:
Enjoy your pretty nails! I do my nails once a week or until they start to chip. To keep the nail polish fresh and to help it last longer, every other day apply one coat of your topcoat to keep your manicure looking fresh.



I did not list the name of the products that I use because everyone has their own preference on what they like but if you would like some suggestions or the name of the products I use just let me know.

Until next time, Ciao!! Xoxoxo
~Dissolved Girl

No comments: